Monday, February 26, 2007

First Impressions on a Second Life, In Search of IBM's Rational CODESTATION

Being a consultant working with IBM software (Lotus and WebSphere) a lot of the blogs I read are written by people who work for IBM. In this environment it is nearly impossible to have avoided any references to Second Life.

Link eightbar Second Life Category
Link Roo Reynolds Second Life Category
Link Alan Lepofsky Second Life Category

I have spent more than my fair share of time playing some of the more popular MMORPG's (primarily WoW and SWG though I have given up both for RL). With this background I didn't think a free MMORPG would have anything worthwhile to offer. However when I saw mention of IBM's Rational CODESTATION I was compelled to see what the buzz was all about.

CODESTATION has script and object libraries containing free samples of each, as well as a maze. Vendors near the entrance to the maze contain free robot kits. The kits contain a robot and some documentation describing how to use it. The goal being to program a robot to traverse the maze by itself, eating little bugs along the way.

If anyone involved in CODESTATION stumbles across this, kudos, very cool content. One comment, can you talk to someone about creating a version of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robocode for Second Life?

Link Rock 'em Sock 'em Robocode

No comments: